Basketball Forum

Forum >> Basketball >> Who should replace Steve Alford at UCLA?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Hardwood Administrator

Hardwood College Basketball
Who should replace Steve Alford at UCLA?

Rick Pitino -- will never happen...

Earl Watson?

I find it interesting that Andy Enfield (@ USC) and Sean Miller (@ Arizona) both had assistant coached busted in the FBI sting and in fact both Tony Bland (from USC) and Book Richardson (from Arizona) plead guilty. But those head coaches are still on-board. But Alford (no corruption/scandal, just losing), is fired.

Steve
PrivateSnowflake

Cincinnati Bearcats
IV.8

Good luck with Cronin, Steve. Fans here were growing tired of his shtick and are pretty indifferent to him leaving. Bad OOC scheduling, penchant for throwing others under the bus after his choke jobs, suffering through dribble*dribble*dribble*clang*dribble*clang*clang offenses...and get ready to hear about the importance of "deflections".

He did win games during the regular season, I'll give him that. And cross off the first four years at UC bc that was a total rebuild (1 scholly player his first year). But his failures in March (who lost the biggest 2nd half lead of all-time? Mick Cronin, who completely melted down), led to many here openly wanting a change.

Hopefully he does well. You'll never see a stronger and better conditioned team than what you're going to get the next few years. And they will play hard. But his X's and O's and in-game adjustments are brutal. If he can get kids to buy into 52-48 games and team defense, it could work, but it's going to be hard to watch. Not sure if all of that's a fit in LA.
admin

Hardwood Administrator

Yeah...I don't think people are that enthusiastic about the hire. He's about the 4th or 5th guy they offered the job too. It's strange, they fired Ben Howland in part because he was too defense-minded (despite going to 3 final fours). They bring in Alford, the offense turns around, but the defense sucked. Now the pendulum swings the other way and they are back to a defensive coach.

I guess a lot will depend on recruiting. Also wondering if the FBI investigation will level the playing field -- three PAC-12 schools (Arizona, USC & Oregon) clearly benefited from having shoe companies funnel players their way.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |