Basketball Forum

Forum >> Basketball >> Ryan McDonough Fired By Suns   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

Hardwood College Basketball
I find it very odd why the Suns fired him before the start of the season.
admin

Hardwood Administrator

Was he really doing a bad job?

Steve
Brewnoe

Inactive

Picking Ayton nbr 1 ... ok
Trading for Bridges ... ok
Signing T. Ariza ... ok

Entering the season with Harrison, Okobo and Canaan as the point guard depth chart ... not ok.

I'm a Celtics fan (so I'm glad they didn't do it), but signing Marcus Smart instead of Ariza would make for a much better looking lineup
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

McDonough didn't do a bad job this offseason, but he had some very questionable moves during trade deadlines, like trading Goran Dragic and Isaiah Thomas. He traded the 10th pick of the 2018 draft, which was Mikal Bridges to the Sixers back in 2015. He got back Brandon Knight, which was a disaster. He didn't communicate with players. He traded Marcus Morris without telling his twin brother Markieff. He waived Booker's best friend, Tyler Ulis without telling Booker and he did other things that weren't too good.

Overall, McDonough had a few positives, but a lot of negatives.

Like Brewnoe said, having no established PG may have also contributed to McDonough's firing.
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

@Brewnoe, I wanted the Suns to sign Smart, but Smart wanted about 14 or 15 million, which was a bit too much I guess for the Suns.

I had really wanted the Suns to sign Rondo, but the Lakers were quick to sign him.
admin

Hardwood Administrator

Ack...saw the Suns vs. Lakers game the other day -- Suns looked terrible. Something is missing on the team...or maybe they're just too young.

Ayton looks good. Devin Booker can still shot. Chandler is too old. Ariza was productive. Josh Jackson looked like he regressed.

Steve
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

Yeah, the Suns really need a PG or else what happened last season will happen again despite adding Ariza, Ayton and others.

Booker is not a PG and the Suns continuously keep playing him there in extended stretches when Canaan is on the bench, which is adding to his already big workload.
buffmckagan

Missouri Tigers
III.4

Looking at this thread I find it interesting how Trevor Ariza is out of Phoenix
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

I'm not surprised that the Suns traded Ariza. He didn't bring any leadership as a veteran and didn't seem very happy to be in Phoenix.

Previous Page | Show All |