Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Fouls   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Coriolanus

Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos
IV.5

Hardwood College Basketball
seems like you get called for twice as many fouls and face 3 to 1 deficits on free throws taken way too frequently.

particularly galling when you played the same opponent one week earlier (at home) & had 15-12 edge. Now (on road, same opponent) it's 30/14 on fouls and 45-19 on FTs?

that's a pretty wide variance

Updated Tuesday, April 26 2022 @ 9:59:46 am PDT
dino_2000_22

Wisconsin Lutheran Warriors
V.15

Yuppers I just had a game where the opponent went to the line 31 times to my 10. On a team that only had 60 shots...That means I fouled them on 30 to 35 percent of there shots? Like WTF is this.

I see your team had 45 FT attempts against on just over 40 shots.

I just went through every box score from my conference...and one team in every game had pretty close to a 3 to 1 discrepancy in FT shots. Clearly there is a flaw in this sim!

Updated Tuesday, April 26 2022 @ 10:02:31 am PDT
Slickandjake

Inactive

Coriolanus, I assume you are talking about the back to back games against Army. That last game of the regular season Army played two freshmen for their 5th game which he is redshirting. So there is a lot of variance because he didn’t play his best team that last game. In addition, you play a lot of man to man but have terrible defensive ratings. That is a recipe to foul a lot.

Dino, all I have to do is look at your last two games of the regular season and you claim that all games were 3-1 fouls falls apart already as the fouls were relatively even. However, you are running a lot of pressure defense, this will result in a lot of fouls, especially against good teams. Your player ratings also aren’t great. Benavides and Brooks have poor ID ratings and your opponent Moravian scored a bunch inside. Running a pressure defense when your defenders aren’t good results in some poor performances.

I challenge both of you to look at your tactics as well as compare your team against your opponents’ team and try to understand how certain results happen. While there is variation, and sometimes head-scratching, most of the time the results can be explained with some homework.

So to summarize, there is not a flaw in the sim, the flaw can be found elsewhere.
Coriolanus

IV.5

regardless of the pretext, I think I'll stick with my initial observation that this is a LOT of variance considering it's about 2 different players and home court.

Indeed, I would suggest that despite whatever point you're making, that I would again emphasize that you won't find many NBA games at all where one team gets twice as many fouls. I watch a lot of NBA so I will attest to that, not NCAA ball which I dont' watch, but I would be surprised if 2X the fouls is a common college occurrence.

So I get the argument for the variance, but that seems like an AWFUL lot of variance, as I said.

plz feel free to think whatever you like NIU; I do understand how the game works, this is not my only team. My statement indeed referred to how FREQUENTLY such things occur. Just you know, saying.

Here's a game where there was a +34 advantage, mine was only +26, but still more than any other tourney game. Not sure how to factor that sample size, but it's still a pretty steep outlier, or SHOULD be. https://hookemheadlines.com/2022/03/20/texas-basketball-tip-off-time-delayed-vs-purdue/

Updated Tuesday, April 26 2022 @ 4:22:47 pm PDT

Updated Tuesday, April 26 2022 @ 4:39:20 pm PDT
dino_2000_22

V.15

@slickandjake

I think you mis-understood...i went through all of the boxscroes from every round 1 conference tournament game and every single game had a 3 to 1 foul ratio. That does not just happen by accident I am afraid to tell you. Clearly a slider was tinkered with as that has never happened before.
Slickandjake

Inactive

Coriolanus, you are using anectdotal evidence comparing a different league altogether in the NBA versus the NCAA. A league where the best players are spread over 30 teams where the difference in talent from #1 to #30 is likely a lot less than the talent difference on an NCAA sim game where there are 1008 teams. Even within conference the difference in talent can be huge. In addition, an NBA game should have ~ 20% more possessions considering there are 20% more minutes played and 20% shorter shot clock. The variance would be expected to drop due to increased possessions. But let's look at actual real life NCAA data before drawing a conclusion.

You are making an assertion that variance between two teams playing two separate games can't be that great, as well as 2X PF difference is not a common college occurrence. What you are actually implying is that 2X PF discrepancy is more common in HW. I took a quick look at the NCAA team PFs for this past season and sorted least to greatest. The two lowest PF teams were W Kentucky and Notre Dame. I looked at their box scores and W Ken games had a 2 to 1 advantage in PFs in 9 of their 30 games. Notre Dame had it in 4 of their 34 games. I then took a look at the number of games in your box scores where a team had a 2 to 1 PF advantage and it was 3 of 40 games. Does your number of occurrences of this 2 to 1 ratio look abnormal to actual NCAA teams?

For Notre Dame they played Pitt where they had 18 fouls to Pitt's 16 fouls, then in their second matchup Pitt had 16 fouls to ND's 9. I took another random team, Ohio State. In the first matchup against Penn State this season Ohio State had 17 fouls to PS's 16. In the second matchup PS had 25 fouls to OS's 13. The foul discrepancy happens on occasion in college basketball, even between two games with the same two teams. In your case, it was a team not even playing all their best players.

And this was looking at just three random teams of 358 total teams which illustrate, compared to your experience 2 to 1 foul ratios were higher in real NCAA games than what you experienced. And foul discrepancy between a team and its opponent were lopsided for two of the three teams. While not common, both of these situations occur and to the relatively same degree as what you experienced. If anything, that really lends credence the sim is fairly accurate compared to real life.

Does it suck that the foul discrepancy happened to you in the conference tournament? Yes. Is it unrealistic? Based on the data I provided, no.
Slickandjake

Inactive

Dino, which conference? I am assuming you mean your conference IV.8? If so:

Drew 15 fouls to Bradley's 16
Christian Brothers 15 to Cincy's 9
Kentucky 13 to Eastern 9
PSU 17 fouls to Minnesota 23
Wis Lutheran 26 to Moravian 17
Juniata 23 to Southern Miss 16
TPB 11 to Texas A&M 11
Miami 15 to W Florida 12

However, you seem to be referring to FTA's. If so, here are the FTA's for the above games:

12 vs 15
11 vs 20
8 vs 18
27 vs 24
10 vs 31
16 vs 24
8 vs 16
10 vs 17

So unless there is some new math you are using, or you are talking about a different conference, the only 3 to 1 advantage was the number of free throw attempts in your game, of which you use a lot of pressure defense with poor defenders. I am afraid to tell you your assertion was not only incorrect, but clearly no slider was tinkered.
dino_2000_22

V.15

Apologies for the over exaggeration....

The conference as a hole was a 1.70 to 1 FT Ratio. 5 of 8 games were 1.75 to 1 or higher. Feel free to go through other conference games as well and you will see a trend. The discrepancy of all regular season games played in the conference on a daily basis was closer to 1.20. So why the drastic difference all on one day? Sure my pressure was high, but it has been the same all year and I average 16 fouls per game. All of the sudden I am fouling their SG from 18 feet out all game? I understand if the fouls were under the basket, but just random fouls from mid range jumpers....nah man pressure is not the problem

Even your conference as a hole had a 1.72 to 1 FT Ratio. With 6 out of 8 games having a 1.6 to 1 FT ratio. Which once again is an unheard of number on a daily basis.

1 foul inside (legit), 2 mid range fouls (1 legit 1 a reach in?), and 3 off ball fouls ( Tripping? )against a SG....leads to 12 Free Throws.

Updated Wednesday, April 27 2022 @ 9:05:03 am PDT
Slickandjake

Inactive

First, I am not checking your math/data and just assume you are correct. However, you are taking a small sample size of 8 games and comparing to 240 conference games. This is not enough sample size to say something is wrong. Second, the best teams are playing the worst teams, so I would actually expect the foul ratios to be a little more skewed the first round on average. Lastly, your original assertion was the sim is broken. In order to say this, you need to compare it to some standard, which I assume is real life NCAA basketball. So get data from this standard and compare it to the HW sim so there is something that could be examined and possibly fixed. Taking a one game sample as you are doing and saying the whole game is broken because there is no way it can happen, well that is just false. There are real life games where PF and FTA ratios are close to your game, and I found it several times just looking at three teams this past NCAA season.

I get you are upset with the FTA being skewed in the game. I have had very lopsided FTA margin against as well. I have also been frustrated with my favorite NCAA team having this happen to them in real life too, typically because the team played poorly, if I am setting aside my bias. But to complain the game is broken is just coming off as sour g*beep*s to me, especially in light of the exaggeration and lack of any data comparing to real life games.
Slickandjake

Inactive

First, I am not checking your math/data and just assume you are correct. However, you are taking a small sample size of 8 games and comparing to 240 conference games. This is not enough sample size to say something is wrong. Second, the best teams are playing the worst teams, so I would actually expect the foul ratios to be a little more skewed the first round on average. Lastly, your original assertion was the sim is broken. In order to say this, you need to compare it to some standard, which I assume is real life NCAA basketball. So get data from this standard and compare it to the HW sim so there is something that could be examined and possibly fixed. Taking a one game sample as you are doing and saying the whole game is broken because there is no way it can happen, well that is just false. There are real life games where PF and FTA ratios are close to your game, and I found it several times just looking at three teams this past NCAA season.

I get you are upset with the FTA being skewed in the game. I have had very lopsided FTA margin against as well. I have also been frustrated with my favorite NCAA team having this happen to them in real life too, typically because the team played poorly, if I am setting aside my bias. But to complain the game is broken is just coming off as sour g*beep*s to me, especially in light of the exaggeration and lack of any data comparing to real life games.
MuchoMaas

High Point Panthers
III.2

I just had a 28 to 8 disparity.

Go ahead. Check out my team. I was playing someone who pressed most (77%) of the game, I have very good defensive ratings. +20 FT deficit. I even played "i" one half. So maybe there is a rationalization for this, sure, maybe but IT'S A BAD ONE. Basketball shouldn't look like this week-in, week-out.

It feels like if this is meant to replicate college basketball it wouldn't have disparities that would be the 2nd most in any NCAA tournament happening every week.

I resent somebody with a different opinion dismissing what for anyone that has played this game for a while, is a clear and obvious deficiency.

As was clear in the post quoting the NCAA tournament anything over +15 is pretty steep outlier, and that happens FREQUENTLY.

But I guess this isn't the place to complain about issues with the game.

GO FIGURE

Updated Thursday, April 28 2022 @ 10:45:13 am PDT

Updated Thursday, April 28 2022 @ 10:47:01 am PDT
Coriolanus

IV.5

For some reasons it posted a different link https://hookemheadlines.com/2022/03/20/texas-basketball-falls-to-purdue-thanks-to-46-free-throw-attempts/

FT Discrepancies in the tourney so far:
1 Purdue +34 vs. Texas
2Purdue +21 vs. Yale
3Arkansas +15 vs. NMSU
4Michigan +15 vs. CSU
5Kentucky +14 vs. St. Pete’s
6LSU +13 vs. Iowa State
7Murray State +13 vs. San Francisco

— Hook'em Headlines (@HookemHeadlines) March 21, 2022

Purdue’s 46 FTs are third most in a tournament game since 2010. This was also the biggest FT discrepancy of any tournament game in the last decade.

I had +26

+32 was the most in ANY tournament in a decade.

so like 700 games?

and this occurs frequently?

Slick you're going to ratify this no matter what so you really don't have anything new or useful to say to me.
gards710

Dominican Univ. of California Penguins
I.1

Aren't like 500 games simmed a day in this game, at least on non-tourney days? The sheer amount of games here leads to the chance that there is a game that is up there in weirdness, whatever it may be - not just in free throw discrepancy, but other stats too.

Anyways, some of you guys seemed determined to stay on your hill, so good luck!
dino_2000_22

V.15

Thanks @Mucho....it goes to show that Slick is essentially making stuff up to make himself feel better. But I will lay some knowledge down about FT statistics

From 2020 up until today, taking all 358 D1 schools into account. The Average FT attempts per game for any team are 17, the average FT attempts against any team is 17.25.

The largest discrepancies are

Purdue @ +8.6
Elon @ -9.6

There is 250 total teams that have a discrepancy value less than 3.

I am sure you will tell me that it is too much data, but is that not what data is for to make the game more real?
gards710

Dominican Univ. of California Penguins
I.1

All 3 of your teams literally have free throw discrepancies within +/- 3 on the season
BradenWoA

Houston Cougars
IV.5

I agree with y’all, the game has gotten out of hand. In the last two days in my conference (so quarters and semis), there has been a total FT differential of 130-73. That’s 1.78x as many free throws for the teams with more FTs… There was even a game where it was 25-6 on free throws. TWENTY FIVE TO SIX. That’s over 4x as many as your opponent! Something has changed, this has gotten entirely unrealistic…

Wait, false alarm, those stats are from the quarterfinals and semis of the 2022 B1G 10 Tournament.

I get that this game can be frustrating sometimes, and to an extend it can be more swingy than real basketball, but that’s the game. We have to remember the goal here isn’t to make the most perfectly accurate NCAAB simulation—it’s to make a fun and engaging game within a college basketball shell. That’s why we have the pyramid structure, and why tiny schools can become giant powerhouses in the game. This isn’t a simulation of college basketball—we’ve built these teams, we manage their tactics, and the discrepancies between levels of player skill and manager skill can create wider swings than in real life, which is an entirely different game. In addition, refs feel no pressure to give “make-up calls” or to keep the foul counts arbitrarily even, the way they sometimes do in real life. Hardwood, as a fake game, has distilled out some of those impurities. I will say that sometimes play-by-play is a bit wonky, so I understand some frustration if you’re trying to deeply analyze that.

MuchoMaas—that game looks painful, and I feel for you. I used to play a lot of press, and it was live by the press die by the press. Murray State lived by the press today, and it worked. They had you in transition all game, and that’s where the foul discrepancy came from. It went right for them, and you were the unlucky team on the other end.

One last thing, I highly recommend paying attention when Slick and Gards post here. Those two guys know their stuff, and it’s a real opportunity to learn, rather than fight.
Slickandjake

Inactive

Well said Braden, better than I can do.

It must be understood I am not trying to attack you guys. I also understand the frustration, I have been on the end of a lopsided FT discrepancy in this game, and lost by a few points. However, I have seen the same thing happen in real life, and recall the Illinois-Marquette game early this past season where Marquette received 31 FTA and Illinois 11 and Marquette won by 1 point. But Illinois played an awful game, and it wasn't the refs fault for making the calls because Illinois couldn't defend an infant that game. They deserved to lose. It happens, and life moves on.

I contemplated how to respond to the comment that I made things up to make myself feel better, which was a hilarious ironic statement. However I will just say that my motive was to defend this sim which is a fun game. It is not broken, and the variability seen in this game is also seen in real life, to quite an impressive degree if you actually compare real life stats to the HW stats. I do think scoring is much higher in this game than real life, but frankly I don't care, it is the same for everyone and the challenge is to understand why some teams succeed more than my team and make adjustments to improve my team's chances. That's it, that's the fun of the game. It is simple, yet has many complex layers to it as well and decisions you can make to improve your team and odds of winning. My comments were first and foremost to defend this sim, and now in addition to the data I provided there is also gards and Braden providing you additional data that the initial idea that foul discrepancies are unrealistic in this game and occur at a much higher frequency than the NCAA is questionable and likely wrong. All of the real life data provided to you is from the 2022 season. We don't have to go back to past seasons at all, or even take a deep look to find where this sim compares to real life NCAA games. So if you feel foul discrepancies in this game are wildly off compared to NCAA games, then you need to provide the data from BOTH leagues to provide a proof. And only then can the programmer have something tangible to potentially tweak to bring it in line. But right now put yourself in the programmer's shoes. Out of all your comments what exactly should be changed and based on what data? There is nothing for the programmer, who provides this wonderful game for FREE by the way, to understand how to meet what your expectations are.

Believe it or not, I am trying to help you and your enjoyment of the game. If you want to get hung up on foul discrepancies, or in what you believe are stat discrepancies compared to real life, it will most likely only frustrate you. I attempted to provide you a systematic approach as to why the stats might happen as they do and to think about what changes are in your power to potentially change results as best you can, whether it be tactically or in what to look for in recruits. It is your choice, and I am now done spending time on this thread.

Updated Friday, April 29 2022 @ 6:25:46 am PDT

Updated Friday, April 29 2022 @ 7:15:01 am PDT
MuchoMaas

High Point Panthers
III.2

Just some side notes on this. I played Murray st few weeks earlier - we were both missing a starter - and I used exact same D and was at home at produced 20-2 disadvantage on FBP (as opposed to this time's 17-0, improvement!) but I still won by 13, and won FT attempts 19-13.

The next time we play - same defense, 1 different starter each but same guy at PG. a 19 hands guy. Who made 8 turnovers. Ok well. I guess.

But +6 to -20 in FT advantage is like I got stuck with Scott Foster. I feel when the disparities are that wide and variable it becomes a lot harder to enjoy the game.

It's the whole RNG life, only you roll snake eyes A LOT more often than a bell distribution would suggest.

note, I am not truly making a realism argument, or I'd talk about the number of fta in general, the score of the game, the way pace operates or any number of issues with "realism." I am not. I am saying the wide swings in FTAs and who gets the advantage in them make the game less enjoyable to me. Something nobody else can say *beep* about given the circumscribed nature.

outside of that, I would as an aside say it seems kinda broken that someone could play pressure D 80% of the game and consistently draw less fouls then their opponent, but I don't care so much about that. (I'll just copy what he's doing to exploit the game.) The wide seemingly RANdom swings in fta is a lot harder to accept and enjoy.

Updated Friday, April 29 2022 @ 9:22:07 am PDT

Updated Friday, April 29 2022 @ 9:40:28 am PDT
admin

Hardwood Administrator

Lots of things can affect the number of fouls -- the players, the tactics, the location and then some random.

I know the variance between two games seems wide -- and I do track all the statistics to make sure the mean and variance are close to NCAA averages.

But this happens in RL too -- how many times have you seen a post-game press conference were the head coach is bemoaning the fact that the other team got to the line twice as much as his team.

Steve
MuchoMaas

High Point Panthers
III.2

but not so much 4 or 5 times as much

hey I'm sure you track it

I just think you need to tighten it up
MuchoMaas

High Point Panthers
III.2

34-7 disparity
BradenWoA

Houston Cougars
IV.5

26-4 here. And that’s okay!
admin

Hardwood Administrator

Aren't like 500 games simmed a day in this game, at least on non-tourney days? The sheer amount of games here leads to the chance that there is a game that is up there in weirdness, whatever it may be - not just in free throw discrepancy, but other stats too.

Anyways, some of you guys seemed determined to stay on your hill, so good luck!

504 games per day...plus some high school, pro, juco and international games.

Steve
Hayseed

Lewis & Clark Pioneers
I.1

I wasn't sure which forum thread to put this in. Was this a Bug I found? Looking at the team history made me think this could possibly be real. Then I considered the Venting thread because I could vent about this in the name of the other owner or maybe coach Clemens. Yet in the end I think this is just a Foul, though not sure who by -- the team, owner(s) or the alumni? Let me know what you what thread you would have done. Here is what I found (look at the Alumni Mood):

http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/team/526
imad0211

Inactive

Idk what the problem is please explain what u found
lmartins6746

North Greenville Crusaders
IV.4

I think it is the negative fan mood.
MuchoMaas

High Point Panthers
III.2

I like this hill. I think it's more than a minor discrep and I think in large part the sim works which to me calls attention to the continued VERY WIDE bars on this. The differences should not be THIS wide. but that's my hill.

34-6.

it only seems to afflict visting teams. never see a home team with this margin.

but this is my hill, I have a tent, you'll see me here.
kauffdaddy

Inactive

I don't think there's a problem, but I'd love to be able to sort all stats by home games and road games, just like you can look at all games vs. conference games only.
MuchoMaas

High Point Panthers
III.2

30-12
admin

Hardwood Administrator

I'll look into the Alumni Mood calculation. I can't remember the exact formula or whether it can go negative.

Steve
MuchoMaas

High Point Panthers
III.2

45-12
MuchoMaas

High Point Panthers
III.2

37-12
MuchoMaas

High Point Panthers
III.2

This is even better. 24 fouls on my team, 21 on the other, leading to a 42-22 FT disparity.

Previous Page | Show Page |